I fell in love with this pattern a while ago while going through Mccalls patterns. The expression on this cat's face made me smile and I knew I had to buy it then. The cat on this cover really caught my eye in the original pattern, it's so cute and looks so bewildered sitting there amid the mess of bobbins she presumably caused, looking all innocent and cat like. The cover also features some cute piping in the seams. Other than that it's just a useful (and pretty) item for your sewing room.
It sat around for a very long time before I got round to making this one. Mostly because I rarely make crafts and I was a bit nervous about it. But also because assembling the perfect materials took a very long time. I've ended up using a lot of scraps that I've had laying around for ages. Most of them leftovers of dresses I've made in the past or pieces I know will be left over of dresses I'm going to make. I used a lot of old mismatched buttons but I also couldn't resist all the nice and shiny buttons in the store, so I ended up having waaay to many of them. My favourite item for this project however heavy duty cord for the piping I had to find, something I never dreamed I would be purchasing for sewing purposes. And couldn't find in any of my regular sewing supply shops. I ended up buying them at a building store witch got me some funny looks.
If you plan on making this pattern you will probably have to adjust the pattern to the size of your own machine. It's not pretty hard though, but maybe a bit challenging for a beginner since the pattern doesn't explain how this can be done at all. The instructions to this project are fine, but not very elaborate, (but seeing the project isn't that complex that's not a bad thing). It did explain the piping and how to apply the appliqués briefly.
Having the sewing lines on the pattern pieces was pretty practical while adjusting the 'fit' of the cover so I liked that.
I added a couple of extra buttons because I they were all so cute and I did some more hand sewing to make it look as if the bobbins are a bit unwound. I've made no other changes except to make my sewing machine fit. I really love how to looks very unique and typically me. I've always been a cat person but I really like my new companion. I've even got one or two people in mind to sew this for as a present but it would turn out as totally different looking projects than mine I think.
I've also noticed that the cover is reversible. It looks pretty acceptable inside out as you can see on my picture. I definitely consider this a plus too.
As a whole, I'm very happy with my new addition to the sewing room. It will take care of my machine and make sure it doesn't get dusty. It also looks a lot nicer than the plastic cover I used to have and never used because of it's appalling ugliness. I really like how it brightens up my sewing room and I think it will be a great inspiration for projects to come.
Labels: Mc calls 5017, Pattern review