The Heart skirt: measurements, notions and pattern
As I've explained in my first post about my measurement system, I wanted to make sure everybody uses their correct measurements by not using a standard sizing system. This may sound inconvenient, but I wanted to prevent you from just selecting your standard size, and not ending up with a garment that actually is your size. This is mostly down to all sizes differing from country to country. I've also not skipped the uneven numbers, so be aware of that! Oh and your size will appear to be smaller too!
When making your own clothes it's really important to get the fit right. To customise your pattern to fit your unique body. You will have to measure yourself to know witch size you are. Please believe me that the result will look better on you if you use the size your body actually has an not the size you want your body to have.
In the following table you will find the final measurements of this pattern. All measurements are given in centimetres. You don't have to account for wearing ease when taking your measurements, the stretch fabric will take care of that. Please select the size witch is closest to your own waist, scaling down (or up) the hip area by moving up or down a size (or more) at the point were the skirt is the curviest and reattaching all lines smoothly.
for this project you will need:
- One meter of fabric unless you plan on doubling up the fabric in wich case 1.5m should be ok for all sizes.
- A smaller piece of less heavy fabric sized 18 by 100 cm for sizes 1-5 (or 36 by 50cm) and sized 24 by 100 cm or (42 by 50 cm) this fabric can have dots or you can paint them on yourself.
- white fabric paint, if your lighter fabric doesnt have dots already.
- a cotton tipped swab (like the ones to clean your ears) to make the perfect dots
- a white fabric ribbon. not the plasticy kind, it has to adjust itself to the round shapes.
- an invisible zipper max. 22 cm long.
- The pattern found here: pattern for all sizes